Certified Nurse Assistant (CNA) Exam
- Registration forms/fees must be received in the Regional Testing Center (RTC) office at least 15 business days before the exam; earlier is better.
- Once registered, the RTC will mail a letter or email to the candidate. This will include test date, test time, test site location address, and instructions on what to bring to the exam. Confirmation letters and email are not required, they are a courtesy.
- If you do not receive a confirmation letter or email one week before your requested exam date, you may contact the RTC to confirm your registration.
- Your original 283B form or CDPH 932 form, social security card, and a current government photo ID must all show the exact same legal first and last names.
How to Register for an Exam:
- 1. Complete CNA Registration Form (Click here for registration form)
- a. Incomplete registration forms will be mailed back
- b. If you are taking a CNA course, the California Training ID and end date can be found on your 283B Form
- c. If you are renewing your license or equivalency, Sponsor ID and approval date can be found on your Approval Letter/932 Form sent by the CA Department of Public Health (CDPH).
- 2. Choose Exam Dates and Locations
- a. If space is available, we will register the candidate for their 1st choice
- b. If 1st choice is unavailable, the candidate will be registered for 2nd choice.
- c. If both choices are unavailable, the candidate will be contacted by email or phone to choose a new test date/location d. If a candidate cannot be reached, registration form/fees will be mailed back to the candidate.
- 3. Include Testing Fees (money order or cashier’s check only)
- a. Take BOTH the Written and the Manual Skills Examination--- $120
- b. Take BOTH the Oral Written and the Manual Skills Examination --- $135
- b. Retake the Written Examination---$40 c. Retake the Manual Skills Examination---$80 d. Oral Wrtten Examination (Audio Recording- English Only)---$55 e. Reschedule Fee for Written/Oral and Skills Examination (Applies for all missed/absent/cancelled exams)
- Rescheduled Manual Exam --- $25
- Rescheduled Written --- $25
- Rescheduled Oral Written Exam --- $25
- 4. Mail complete package to the Regional Testing Center a. CNA Exam Registration form completely filled.
- b. Cashier’s Check or Money Order payable to Regional Testing Center c. If you have the CDPH 932 form (stamped approval letter mailed from the CDPH), send a copy of that form. Do not send original form; you will be required to have your original on testing day. Mail to: Regional Testing Center – 15744 Golden West Street, Forum I, Room 112A, Huntington Beach, CA 92647
CNA Testing Day:
- There are 2 portions to the CNA Exam: Written/Oral Written and Manual. The exam takes about 4 to 6 hours, so plan accordingly. Written Exam:
- There will be a total of 70 multiple choice questions.
- You will have 2 hours to complete the exam.
- You will be told when 15 minutes remain in order to finish.
- If you choose to take the ORAL WRITTEN exam you will be given an MP3 player with earphones. There is an extra $15 fee to take the oral written exam.
- Manual Exam:
- You will be tested on 5 skills.
- Hand washing will always be one of the skills.
- You will have 30 minutes to complete the exam.
- There are 23 skills in the handbook. You do not need to worry about the skills that state "Skills Not Tested"
- A step that is highlighted in bold type is called a Critical Element Step. If you leave out a critical element step or do not perform correctly, you will fail the exam.